Sunday, August 21, 2016

Lego Mindstorms Programming

Programming a robot using 'Lego Mindstorms' 
Partner: Jada
Square Programming:
Circle Programming: 
(If the videos don't work Jada has sent them to you via email)


Overall, I am very pleased with the efforts of Jada and I and we were successfully able to program our robot to move in a square and then circular motion. We had to experiment with the software program at first to determine the most efficient way of programming our robot, and as we understood what each tool did and how it controlled the robot, it made it easier for Jada and I to program it accurately and according to our intentions. I found that it was easiest to program the robot to move in a square rather than a circle, because the actions were repetitive and because it needed to turn in a sharp movement, our programming was more accurate than when we programmed it to move in a circle. At first, when we were programming our robot to move in a square, it was difficult to get the correct and most accurate degrees so that our robot would turn at an angel that was even to produce an even and accurate square, and we had to constantly change and make slight adjustments to our pattens and use the trial and error technique to see what did and didn't work. The degrees we were setting for our robot weren't working well because although our robot was turning, the angle at which it turned was always to big or to small which produced a wonky and uneven square like shape. However after several unsuccessful trials and attempting different degrees, we finally deciphered the most accurate degree to program our robot with to obtain a perfect turn and produce an even square which fixed our robot. We were finally able to program our robot with an accurate and smooth running square program, by repeating the beginning of our successful pattern 

Although we were successful in programming our robot to move in a circle and obtained a circular movement result, our circle programming didn't work as well as our square one did. This was because Jada and I weren't able to discover a more efficient pattern that allowed us to turn our robot without it constantly stopping and then starting. It wasn't a complete failure, nor was it a complete success because we were unable to program to continuously move in one circle without it constantly stopping and starting, but to improve it we did try to make the durations of the turns longer, however although it slightly made the programming and shape better and allowed the robot to move partially more swiftly, we were unable to make it move in one continuos motion, long enough to complete one full circle. Instead our attempts made the robot move in a disorientated shape. We did also try to add a loop around the beginning of our programming/pattern to simply repeat our pattern, but unfortunately we simply obtained the same result, there was no effect. However although it wasn't perfect, we did achieve to program our robot to move ultimately in a circle. If I were to improve on our robot, I would try to alter with more of the functions provided by the 'Lego Mindstorms' software or ultimately see if alternatively there is a way to remove the constant stopping and starting of our robot's programming, and find a way to make it move continuously in one circle. I was pleased with our square programming and I wouldn't make any adjustments to it, except perhaps extending the duration of each action a bit more to produce a larger and more distinct square. Overall I am very pleased and happy with the programming Jada and I accomplish together, and we worked very well as a team.

No comments:

Post a Comment